Natural Reminders (NR) is a psychology-based task reminder system that mimics the way our brain remember things we want or need to do, but without human error such as forgetfulness!
NR can be used via voice operation or typing. It is simple to use:
- Tap a circular button in the row at the top for day you want to schedule a task within the next 7 days (the current day is the default day)
- Tap on one of the buttons marked 1-16 main screen
- Tap on the microphone icon and describe the task by speaking to NR; or, for privacy, in the task field, type in a task you want to remember.
- Tap in the time field and set the time the task is due, or tap on the microphone icon and set the time by speaking to NR
- Tap in the fixed reminder field to choose to be reminded of the task between 5-30 minutes before the task is due, or tap in the pop-up pre-reminder field to choose to be reminded 1-9 hours before the task is due. You can also schedule multiple reminders within the repeated reminders field
Press the save button
- To add another task, repeat the same process but choose any different unoccupied blank numbered button from the 1-16 buttons on the home screen
- NR will provide a voice reminder at both the task due time, and before this, if a fixed, or pre-reminders, were set. If you prefer more privacy return to the home screen and select ‘disable sound’ from the menu button. NR will then provide via vibration and notifications text only.
NR can be used to remind up to 7-Days at a time on an ongoing-basis, week-in / week-out.
- When you add a task to a slot (numbered button), the colour changes to red, orange, or green. The colours are ‘traffic lights’ and are switchable (from the menu) according to user preference. Psychologically the colours are meant to signify priority or importance. For some people seeing red always signify urgency. For other people seen green means the task is set to go, hence has priority
- Unoccupied slots remain blank
- When the due time for a task passes, the task moves to the overdue menu which can be accessed from the home screen
- You will continue to receive reminders for your overdue task until you mark it as Done, Forgotten, Outdated, or Cancelled
- Tapping the red buttons: Done, Forgotten, Outdated, or Cancelled – permanently deletes that task and all reminders from NR and from the device
- Tapping the menu button on the home screen provides access to additional functions and options
- Tasks are stored on the user’s device only. NR does NOT collect the content of any tasks set up by users. This remains exclusively on the user’s own device and will be PERMANENTLY deleted whenever the user taps any of these 4 buttons: Done, Forgot, Outdated, or Cancelled.
- By logging into the natural reminders website ( www.naturalreminders.com ) users can see how their memory for tasks is performing or changing over time, if they opt into this service. This is because NR can statistically analyse completion or non-completion of all tasks and can produce graphs of each user’s performance over time.
Help further our research
THE PSYCHOLOGY BUTTONS
Forgot, Done, Outdated, Canceled – do not only just delete tasks, they also double up as psychology buttons. This is because, along with the Forgot-Reschedule and Remember-Reschedule buttons, they tell us something direct about the fate or outcome of tasks. This can help our research and, in time, help us understand better how and why we remember and forget tasks in real life as opposed to in a science lab. We hope to understand better how NR can be used to support everyday memory for our tasks and other intensions we forget.
EP and SP memory research buttons
EP stands for Environmental Pop-up. SP stands for Spontaneous pop-up. The EP and SP buttons are unique and solely for research, for users who wish to help further our research on memory and opt in. We are inviting users to press EP whenever they see or hear something in their natural environment that reminds them to do a task (it doesn’t matter if the task is in NR or not). For example:
- EP – if you planned to post a letter and someone mentioned the word ‘postman’ or you saw a post box – and that reminded you to complete the task (whether you had scheduled it into NR or not), then please access the NR app and TAP the EP button. You can tap EP more than once for same task; whenever you see, hear, smell, taste or touch something that reminds you of that task. Tapping the EP tells us that something or someone in your environment triggered your memory that you still need/want to do that task.
- SP – if nothing or no one triggered that memory and you just remembered on your own out-of-the-blue that you still want/need complete a this task, then please access the NR app and TAP the SP button. You can tap SP more than once for the same task. Tapping the SP button tells us you just spontaneously remembered this task on your own – without being triggered by the environment.
We are trying to understand more about how EP and SP works in real life and your support – by tapping these buttons your environment and/or your own mind triggers your memory; will help us understand this better.